You might be surprised...

Do you have questions about writing plugins or scripts in Python? Meet the coders here.
Pako
Plugin Developer

Re: You might be surprised...

Post by Pako » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:35 am

Bitmonster wrote:So this project is now in a kind of transition state. I will try to keep this site up and running in 2010. And I will take the time to publish new releases from the SVN on a regular basis, so the changes from the plugin developers in the SVN trunk will be available to the users.

But on the long term this project needs some core developers, a new administrator (or a team of administrators) and a plan to move the project to a new hosting. Otherwise EventGhost will simply vanish into thin air.

So lets start the discussion on how to do it. The first step should be to move the SVN repository to some other hosting. Currently my preference is to move it back to SourceForge as it would be a stable platform (although not very fast).
The end of the year is approaching. Remains less than a month.
It is high time to find a solution!
We can not allow EventGhost disappeared in the air.
I see two problems:
1) New hosting for SVN. This would perhaps not be as big a problem, go to SourceForge.
2) New hosting for the forum, wiki, documentation and downloads. I see this as more of a problem.

I urge you - follow the necessary steps.
Someone should take the lead.
I can help, but I do not know how.
I believe there will be people who will know what to do and they do it.

Pako

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:10 pm

Has anyone been in contact with BM? I assume he needs to provide the new ownership with the correct access permissions?
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system

josen

Post by josen » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:46 pm

Hello,

how much capacity is needed for SVN and the Forum/Website?
How much does the domain cost yearly and is it transferable?

What do you guys have already in place?
I see the issue with SVN the same way as Pako.

The questions are:
Do you have a lead developer to coordinate the development?

Greets

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:08 pm

I don't have an email for BitMonster, but I sent this PM to him. I don't know if he will get it. Maybe he is mad at us...
Hi Bitmonster,

I hope that you are doing well, and enjoying your new projects.

There is some concern over the long term situation with EventGhost and there are users that are willing to contribute to the continued support and development of the project but it seems that everyone is asking questions that only you can answer.

Would you please take a moment to visit this thread: http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&start=30

Maybe you can provide us with the answers that we need to pick up the reigns and keep your wonderful project alive.

EventGhost is a fantastic program, and even if the core program does not change, it would be a waste to let the forum and plugin development die.

Please provide us with the tools that we need to keep it going.

Thanks for everything.

James Richards

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:25 pm

I am not familiar with SVN in general but I downloaded tarballs (zips) for the tags, trunk, and branches from http://www.eventghost.org/websvn/eventghost

the total size for the 3 tarballs is < 7 megs so I don't think the SVN requirements will be very high. If someone knows how to move it to sourceforge or another place, please speak up.

The forum appears to be hosted on phpBB so I'm sure someone could host it easily enough if given access to the files. I don't know much about phpBB but I could try. Does anyone other than BitMonster have access to the forum files though?

Also, it would be nice if someone could create a new build based on the current state of the SVN. I have no idea at all how to do this, but I would be willing to take on the responsibility if someone would give me instructions.

I have no idea what the situation is with the domain name and the hosting plan, but there is no reason to think that either will expire at the end of the year. These things usually are purchased by the year, but expire on the same date that they were purchased, so they could die at any time.

According to whois the domain will expire on
Expiration Date:07-Feb-2011

If we were to put some google ads on the forum I think it would more than pay for the cost of hosting and domain names.

Does someone want to try to phone him?

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:36 pm

For those interested in building a current EG, I put instructions up on my website. My fork is not compatible (stackless python vs. non-stackless) with the build process, so my computer isn't set up for builds of EG.

Brett

josen

Post by josen » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:40 am

Good morning,
I will try to reach him concerning hosting. But dont expect too much :)

It would be a shame if EventGhost would just vanish or change shape in form of a fork :)

Greets

jwka

Post by jwka » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:08 pm

As I am German, thoufgt to give it a try.

So, I was trying to call him, with no success so far. Will try through the weekend as well.

If anyone has additional Information, please let me know.

jwka

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

someone edited my post, without any noticible indication, that someone other than me edited it.

that is NOT cool. :evil: Perhaps it was the phantom of the eventghost forum...

anyway, I had only included whois information that is publicly available to anyone through a simple whois lookup.

http://www.whois.net/whois/eventghost.org

jwka

Post by jwka » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:04 pm

Maybe it makes sense to join forces & coordinate who's doing what, as well as exchange "Real Names", so in case one or the other would have contact, he/she could refer / identify if someone else is already working on the same thing.

I am German and have tried to make contact to Lars-Peter and it seems to work - I have not yet got him on the phone directly but hope to manage this soon.

jwka
(real name Jürgen Wege)

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:33 pm

Well, there is no point in more than one person trying to phone him, since that will probably just upset him.

At this point, I think it is pretty obvious that he does not care, and does not want to have anything to do with us.

Either that, or something as happenened to him (I certainly hope not) that is preventing him from seeing our messages or responding to us.

When you call his phone number, do you get an answering service, or does it just ring forever?

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:02 am

I would hope that if there is any way, he'd be a decent guy and at least try to hand the site to someone that will maintain it.
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system

jwka

Post by jwka » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:45 am

Thru my efforts, I could - only indirectly - reach bitmonster.

I was told to be patient and that no change on status until he will make a response to the requests.

here is the original quote:

"Herr xxx wird sich bei Gelegenheit melden, bis dahin sollten Sie sich gedulden. Vorerst wird sich am Status Quo nichts ändern."

In deed he seems to be a bit displeased about the long term inactivity from the forum with respect to this announcement, which might be understandable.

I guess we need to take a rest and wait what his desicion will be. It seems not to be a good idea to even more try to apprach him, neither directly nor by posts in this forum.

I think he is aware that there are some people being interested and willing to do their best fefforts to keep EventGhost to survive and it is on his sole descretion to make a desicion.

However, I would think that it makes good sense that anyone who would be committed to help bring that thing furher makes a post in this forum and state what his/her role could potentially be. I would also be prepared to take PM's in case someone does not want to make a public statement.

Is there any way to make a sticky entry for this purpose in the General Forum to collect input from a mor broader user base?

jwka

paseant

Post by paseant » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:22 pm

Don't know if I can help to maintain eventghost project but count me on it. I also think this topic should be more visible in the forum.

Regards

prostetnic

Post by prostetnic » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:13 pm

paseant wrote:Don't know if I can help to maintain eventghost project but count me on it. I also think this topic should be more visible in the forum.

Regards
The same goes for me. I been away from EG for about a year and just now realized that EG might die. If I can do anything to help count me in! Im not really a programmer but Ill try help with whatever is needed.