You might be surprised...

Do you have questions about writing plugins or scripts in Python? Meet the coders here.
Bitmonster
Site Admin

You might be surprised...

Post by Bitmonster » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:33 pm

You might be surprised, but I will leave the project.

The main reason is, that I decided to switch all my automation and HTPC stuff to Linux, so I will no longer use EG daily.

So this project is now in a kind of transition state. I will try to keep this site up and running in 2010. And I will take the time to publish new releases from the SVN on a regular basis, so the changes from the plugin developers in the SVN trunk will be available to the users.

But on the long term this project needs some core developers, a new administrator (or a team of administrators) and a plan to move the project to a new hosting. Otherwise EventGhost will simply vanish into thin air.

So lets start the discussion on how to do it. The first step should be to move the SVN repository to some other hosting. Currently my preference is to move it back to SourceForge as it would be a stable platform (although not very fast).
Please post software-related questions in the forum - PMs will only be answered, if really private, thanks!

Livin
Experienced User

Re: You might be surprised...

Post by Livin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:12 am

Bit,
What app did you switch to that gives you EG-like functionality, and home automation?

Could EG be made to be cross-platform?
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:53 am

Bitmonster,

Thanks for the great product and all of your hard work. I'm sorry you feel the need to leave the project, I hope we can keep it going without you. And I wish you the best of luck with the new projects you will surely be diving into on the Linux side.

Brett

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Post by krambriw » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:45 am

Also from my side, thank you very much for all work you have made and the result that you kindly have shared

Please consider to invite us to your new "home" forum, I have personally no preferences for Windows, it is the concept that EG brings that appealed to my taste (the plug-in concept) and I would try to migrate my plug-ins to new grounds if possible

I guess you will continue with python and I further guess you are already pretty much on your way since you say you will not use EG daily any more :wink:

Best regards & good progress,
Walter

Pako
Plugin Developer

Post by Pako » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:40 am

I very much regret that Bitmonster leaves the project. I have great fear that a fully comparable successor not find.
There are few people who are so good at programming and they are also willing to pay this much free time.
And it would be a great pity if the project did not continue. I am convinced that EventGhost not have a comparable alternative.
But maybe I'm wrong and someone as good as Bitmonster is found.
Perhaps it would be a solution if the administrator of this project has to be some school.

Bitmonster, I thank you very, very much, for your great work.
I wish you every success in your future projects and in your work.
It was a great honor that I could collaborate with you, even though my work is compared with your almost negligible.
I would be very pleased if I had not completely lost contact with you.
Pako

jsonnabend
Experienced User

Post by jsonnabend » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:37 pm

Bitmonster -

Thank you for your generous contribution to the community. EventGhost has made my HTPC/automation setup much, much easier than it had ever been before.

- Jeff

kalia
Experienced User

Post by kalia » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:24 am

Bitmonster,

I would also like to thank you for this great software. The more I use it, the more I am amazed by what it can accomplish. I wish you all the best with your Linux endeavors. I just hope that Eventghost does not just "simply vanish into thin air". It is just too good.

Thanks again,

Kalia

brand10
Experienced User

Post by brand10 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:31 am

First Bitmonster, THANKS for this great piece of Software.
Bitmonster wrote:Otherwise EventGhost will simply vanish into thin air.
I hope this won`t happen. EG is the best event-handler available and theres no other choice. Girder is, with all respect, crap.

And i hope your Linux coice will be a success. I like Linux but i gave up to use it on the Desktop... For multimedia in a HTPC its pure pain, but thats just my opinion :mrgreen:

Bartman
Plugin Developer

Post by Bartman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:16 pm

I'm currently waiting for some status reports on the current status of the 0.4. branch to finish the plugin installer and WinUSB stuff.
This would allow to strip out nearly all of the plugins out of the installer and would make EG much more maintainable.

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:39 pm

what a shock! I will be very sorry to see you go. EventGhost is a fantastic program, and I also feel that it has no equal, at any price.

The fact that EG is free is great, but what I particularly love about it, is it's flexibility, extensibility, and the community that has developed around it.

I hope that the project can stay alive, even if the core remains more or less as it is. I would at least like to see the forums and the plugin development continue.

I'm not sure what experience I can lend in this regard but I would be happy to contribute however possible.

Bitmonster, I hope you will still visit! All the best in your future endeavors.

farbox
Experienced User

Post by farbox » Sat May 15, 2010 5:00 am

A huge thanks from me as well, Bitmonster...
Your program has been wonderful for me, and I am sad to hear your departure.
I would be even sadder, as im sure a lot of us would be, if EG fades away.
Hope someone will step up and take up the reins!

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Sat May 15, 2010 2:03 pm

Bartman wrote:I'm currently waiting for some status reports on the current status of the 0.4. branch to finish the plugin installer and WinUSB stuff.
This would allow to strip out nearly all of the plugins out of the installer and would make EG much more maintainable.
any update on this?

I'd really love to see EG evolve as it could do some very cool integration stuff (tighter than it does today) with XBMC - if a dev is interested in pursuing.

I also wonder if there is a way to make EG cross platform without a massive rewrite?
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Post by krambriw » Sat May 15, 2010 8:44 pm

I also wonder if there is a way to make EG cross platform without a massive rewrite?
I would for sure also like to have a "slim" version of EG for Linux (even without GUI) for this type of devices

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/ ... -plus.aspx

derelict

Post by derelict » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:43 pm

guys.... end of 2010 is coming quite soon!!

i haven't read anything from bitmonster since February 2010.....

- what if this site gets shutdown by end of this year ?
- has anyone talked to bitmonster about his decision ?
- why did he move to a linux based solution and which (linuxmce ?? no way !? did he ?)
- maybe bitmonster can be taken back "on track" on his project ? donations ??

for me... loosing eventghost and the forum content as it is right now would be a tremendous loss!!!!!

i do know about the eg fork which is in alpha state currently.... but again... this site has to survive longer than "just the 2010"... doesn't it ?

for me i could offer:

- svn access/server
- website/forum hosting
- maybe some administrative tasks on the forum (my time is very limited... as i have my own open source projects)
- i CANNOT develop!

What are you guys opinions ?

last but not least.... no matter where the road may end or lead...i would like to thank bitmonster for all he has done for ALL OF US so far!!!!

Marcel
Last edited by derelict on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:54 pm

That's a good point. Does anyone have administrative access to the forum?

At the very least we should have the forum content backed-up in case the web host shuts it down.