UI Improvements for EventGhost

Do you have questions about writing plugins or scripts in Python? Meet the coders here.
Eli

UI Improvements for EventGhost

Post by Eli » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:04 pm

Hey Guys,
I'm using EventGhost for a year or so now, and one thing that really bothers me in the program is the way that you manage binds.

There is no visual or logical separation between three very different things in the application:
  • Events - Application launched, closed, time of day, etc'
  • Binds (Or Actions) - Binding a key on a remote or on keyboard to a specific action (NOT APPLICATION RELATED)
  • Application Control - Each function that has a bind, corresponds to a application control

Currently, creating and maintaining an eventghost script requires to handle with a lot of logic, turning on and off some of the folders, activating plugins and other things. for programmers this maybe pretty straight forward, but for the average user, this is a tedious and hard work at best, in other occasions people just give up and try something else.

EventGhost is a very powerful and useful application, but it lacks usability and simplicity. it requires quite a lot of reading before starting to work with it, and even if you download someone elses script, you probably won't be able to use it right away.

I'm suggesting a complete UI and GUI revamp for EventGhost. Leaving only simple logic tasks for the end user, and doing the most of the logic behind the scenes.

I've started to work on a mock-up for a UI for EventGhost, hopefully in the next week or so I will be able to show what I'm talking about.

A little about myself,
I'm a full time Front-End Developer specializing in Usability and User Experience for a one of the biggest Forex, Commodities and CFDs companies in the world.
My primary specialty is in web sites, but occasionally I work on desktop software UX and GUI.

Livin
Experienced User

Re: UI Improvements for EventGhost

Post by Livin » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:29 pm

Eli,
Welcome to the forum.

I, and others, have voiced similar concerns. When creating complex sets of events the way the logic MUST happen is not ideal and required, IMO, unnecessary complexity... ie. instead of a simple If-Then-Else. There are other issues too.

I'd interested in seeing the mockup you build and how you can contribute to this great app to make it even better.

I noticed you specialize in web development - I'd love to see a full web GUI integrated into EG. If the web code would auto-generate the web pages for specific events/action (using properties on the object in EG) this would be great. I ask that you consider this in your UI design as the layout of the UI could also help create a logical layout for the auto-gen'd web pages. (maybe you could whip up some web code to do this in the current version?)

thx
Aaron
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system

stottle
Plugin Developer

Re: UI Improvements for EventGhost

Post by stottle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:19 pm

Did you ever get anywhere with the mock-ups?

Brett