Anyone have a VM with Python tools ready to go?

Do you have questions about writing plugins or scripts in Python? Meet the coders here.
Livin
Experienced User

Anyone have a VM with Python tools ready to go?

Post by Livin » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:08 am

I was going ot build a VM, using VMware Wks, but I figured I'd ask here first to see if anyone had one they could share?
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system

stottle
Plugin Developer

Re: Anyone have a VM with Python tools ready to go?

Post by stottle » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:01 pm

Given that EG is an MS product and that MS installs require a license, its probably a bad idea to share a VM with EG installed....

I completely agree with the sentiment, though.

Brett

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:11 pm

I should have clarified... it could be on Linux. Plugins for EG can be built on Linux (in a VM) and tested in the Windows enviro.

You have a point with Windows... but since I have my own legit MSDN license I'm not worried about Windows licensing.

What tools are you using to develop Python plugins for EG?

Funny enough I think the main issue I will have is not the logic portion of the Python code, which I wrote 3/06 as will need to try to figure out what I've done and how Python works again (not that I was any good at it then!) but the UI interface for the end user is something I've not dealt with before. you using wxPython?
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:42 pm

Livin wrote:I should have clarified... it could be on Linux. Plugins for EG can be built on Linux (in a VM) and tested in the Windows enviro.
Fair enough, but that sounds like a PITA!
Livin wrote:You have a point with Windows... but since I have my own legit MSDN license I'm not worried about Windows licensing.
How does that help? You need to install a license when the VM is built, it can't be replaced by the end user, right? I've never had nor looked into MSDN licenses, so I'm asking out of curiosity.
Livin wrote:What tools are you using to develop Python plugins for EG?
I'm just using Notepad++ (make sure you set autoindent to spaces instead of tabs). I also use PyCrust from within EG to get at the command line and see what is configured and available to EG (PyCrust has access to the live eventghost install as the eg variable). Not very high tech, but it works.
Livin wrote:Funny enough I think the main issue I will have is not the logic portion of the Python code, which I wrote 3/06 as will need to try to figure out what I've done and how Python works again (not that I was any good at it then!) but the UI interface for the end user is something I've not dealt with before. you using wxPython?
Agreed. I don't think you can use anything other than wxPython without rewriting EG. Unfortunately wxPython is a learning curve I need to tackle as well....

Brett

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:57 pm

You can change the license #s in Windows, there are some freeware tools to do it.

I used the built-in pycrust editor for the first time last night... worked fine. And I used Notepad++ myself regularly. :)

guess I'll try to tackle wxPython.