Help with building a plugin - Phidgets

Do you have questions about writing plugins or scripts in Python? Meet the coders here.
JoeInBend

Help with building a plugin - Phidgets

Post by JoeInBend » Wed May 06, 2009 3:58 am

hi all,
I need a plugin for Phidgets, which is a hobbyist / prototyping hardware interface. Fortunately, they have readily-available API's and python modules. I was able to successfully pull the data from the device by just adding a Python Macro using their sample scripts with some minor changes. It dumps the data to the log, but since it is just "info" lines, I cannot build events off of it, so i really do need the plugin.

If anyone were up to the challenge, I am betting that someone with familiarity with Python could bang out a plugin pretty dang quick. Below is a link to the Phidgets python source, and the device that I need a plugin for is called the "InterfaceKit".

http://www.phidgets.com/downloads.php?example_id=31

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!

JoeInBend

Re: Help with building a plugin - Phidgets

Post by JoeInBend » Wed May 06, 2009 3:02 pm

Another note I forgot to add -- Another possibility for communicating with Phidgets hardware, instead of having a native plugin, Phidgets already has a "Web Interface", where you can communicate with the hardware via port 5001. Is there a way EG can attach to it this way to pull events and send strings?

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Post by krambriw » Fri May 08, 2009 4:41 am

Dear Joe,
Like with everything in life, maybe especially with SW, we can look around and see & learn what others have already done.

Below in this section is already a plugin that I believe can be used as a "template" or at least gives a good starting point to build one for your board: The Velleman k8055

The k8055 is also an experiment board that has analogue in/out, digital in/out and a usb connection (and it seems to cheaper)

Take a look at the code and you will see. You can also add it to your eg configuration and play with the settings and then you see what is supported and how it is built up

Best regards, Walter

JoeInBend

Post by JoeInBend » Fri May 08, 2009 1:25 pm

Thanks for the lead Walter! I will take a look at that one today and see what I can do!

CollinR
Experienced User

Post by CollinR » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:47 pm

BTT
Windows XP Pro sp3 - Several Machines usually latest beta but who knows.
Inputs: TCP / IR (USBUIRT) / RF(X10 Remote) / CLI-Batch / CCTV Motion / Ocelot
Outputs: TCP / IR (USBUIRT) / SageTV / SageTV Clients / YAC CallerID / HAL v3.7.3 / Ocelot

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Post by krambriw » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:24 pm

NFL :)