Running from Source

Do you have questions about writing plugins or scripts in Python? Meet the coders here.
jsonnabend
Experienced User

Running from Source

Post by jsonnabend » Fri May 01, 2009 2:56 pm

I'm new to Python and I want to dive into the source a bit. I'm using Eric IDE. Can someone point me in the right direction for running from source? For example, what module/project do I load first?

- Jeff

jsonnabend
Experienced User

Re: Running from Source

Post by jsonnabend » Mon May 04, 2009 1:47 pm

BUMP

Anyone? Someone must be running from source, no?

Bartman
Plugin Developer

Post by Bartman » Mon May 04, 2009 6:55 pm

Basicly it is always running from source. If the eventghost.exe detects a changed py file it compile it and runs from there.

jsonnabend
Experienced User

Post by jsonnabend » Mon May 04, 2009 7:53 pm

Ah, ok, but I'd like to run from within an IDE for debug purposes. That's the issue.

- Jeff

jsonnabend
Experienced User

Post by jsonnabend » Thu May 07, 2009 11:57 am

Wow, is it really possible that no one is running EG from within a Python development environment?

- Jeff

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Sun May 10, 2009 5:05 am

I believe EventGhost.pyw is the main entry point for EventGhost. It looks like that is what the installer's exe file points to when it starts.

jsonnabend
Experienced User

Post by jsonnabend » Tue May 19, 2009 1:36 pm

I see no "EventGhost.pyw" anywhere.

- Jeff

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Tue May 19, 2009 4:04 pm

EventGhost uses py2exe to build an executable from the python source, then builds an installer from that. The installer doesn't install all of the files, just the ones needed to run. If you download the source code from the SVN, you will find the file I mentioned.

Brett

jsonnabend
Experienced User

Post by jsonnabend » Tue May 19, 2009 4:08 pm

Ah, ok, that explains a lot.

How do I get read-only SVN access?

- Jeff

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Tue May 19, 2009 7:25 pm

You don't need anything for read only access, except a svn client (I'm using tortoiseSVN). Create a directory for the code, then right click and select SVN Checkout and point to: http://www.eventghost.org/svn/

Just grab the trunk and you should get what you need.

You won't be able to upload anything unless Bitmonster gives you write access - which he seems hesitant to do.

I think on sourceforge there was a way to download a current tarball, but it doesn't look like the new svn host has that option. So I think you need to run an svn client to get the source.

Good luck,
Brett

jsonnabend
Experienced User

Post by jsonnabend » Tue May 19, 2009 7:31 pm

Brett -

Thanks for the info. You've been great help. Now if I can get the correct version of Python installed so it works. I keep running into problems with msvc90.dll (or something like that) and I don't have a whole lot of time to play.

- Jeff

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Tue May 19, 2009 7:45 pm

I've got it working with the 2.6.2 version of python from here. Install that instead of a non-stackless python distribution. You should be able to copy the msvc dll's from the EventGhost directory if you use the eventghost installer.

No problem answering the questions, but why do you want to run from source if you "don't have time to play"? Why not just use the installer then? I ask, because you may still run into problems due to missing packages.

Brett

jsonnabend
Experienced User

Post by jsonnabend » Tue May 19, 2009 7:55 pm

Brett -

I will have time here and there to play (although I shouldn't). I have EG running on five machines in my house and overall like it, but I would like to start tweaking the source for my own purposes.

- Jeff

sparhawk

Post by sparhawk » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:12 pm

I have now also downloaded the SVN trunk, because I want to see if I can figure out what's wrong here. I have now installed python 2.6.2 and the win32 extension. When I import pythoncom and win32com in the console it works.
However, when I try tu run eventghost, it always fails with an error that there is no stackless. I downloaded the stackless package as well, but it says that it is already installed! :?:
Is the stackless build a seperate python build so that I have to uninstall my original python and use the one from stackless? I assumed that it is just an additional package to install on top of it.
Are there somewhere instructions on how to get started with the source?

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:00 am

Bitmonster hasn't posted any instructions. I posted this from memory. I keep thinking Bitmonster will add to some of the instructions, but he never does. So, if you get it working and have any corrections please let me know and I'll update that post.

I wasn't able to install stackless over a standard python install, so I would recommend uninstalling python and installing the stackless distro.

Good luck.

Brett