Plugin Development

Do you have questions about writing plugins or scripts in Python? Meet the coders here.
jmon

Re: Plugin Development

Post by jmon » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi folks,

I've recently encountered Event Ghost and it looks superb. Thanks for all the good work. Exactly what I need for control of my own custom volume hardware...

...which happens to be hung off a parallel port, hence the post to this thread :)

I've had a play with the plug-in development.. Not done any Python before, but the existing plugin code makes things a reasonably easy start.

I also found the pyparallel module on sourceforge, but am struggling to get it imported (my knowledge of Python letting me down here).

I'm unsure as to how to extend the Python that EventGhost uses, so put the pyparallel files into the same directory as my plugin. I get "ImportError: No module named parallel" from my "import parallel" line.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

jason

Livin
Experienced User

Re:

Post by Livin » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:24 pm

cameronr wrote:Thanks for the info and wiki page. I am actually travelling for the next 5 weeks so you won't hear from me for a little while - just wanted to let you know I appreciate your input.

A question to leave you with: Is it possible to dynamically create actions at run-time? A scenario:

If I write a xAP (xAP is a distributed event sending/receiving system primarily designed for home Automation) plugin that queries the network for available xAP devices, (each device has it's own set of actions that can be executed) can I dynamically create Actions to associate with the available devices?

This would allow me to add a new xAP device to my network, open up the xAP plugin in eventGhost (which would find the new device and its associated actions), and select the new actions provide by that new device.

Do you have to sub-class the ActionClass, or can you instantiate them directly and add Actions to your plugin as required?

Hope that makes sense..

Thanks
Cameron
Cameron,
Did you ever get your Home Automation working with EG?
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system