controlling multiple programs from single remote

Do you have questions about writing plugins or scripts in Python? Meet the coders here.
te36

controlling multiple programs from single remote

Post by te36 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:39 pm

Never really played around with eventghost beside most basic mapping, MCE remote -> kodi plus a few custom command.

The most basic thing i am trying to understand is if/how eventghost would allow me control multiple programs from a single remote. Lets say i have N buttons to select one of N programs. Building the macro to bring that program window to front is fine, but how do i build a state machinery whereby each "standard" key would be mapped differently based on the program key last pressed in before ?

slattynan
Experienced User

Re: controlling multiple programs from single remote

Post by slattynan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 pm

There are probably many ways to achieve this.

I do it by using dedicated buttons on the remote which triggers the enable and disable action on groups of functions (in folders) relating to the device/program you are trying to control.

In the image below I have 4 modes, plex, kodi, screensaver and Spotify. Each has different commands mapped to the remote inputs and various other characteristics, for instance, the monitor stays on permanently in screen saver mode. It also allows me to use the same Alexa commands for multiple devices